Today's Haul (Ludwig and Zildjian)

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by mc437, Dec 22, 2018.

1. mc437

mc437 DFO Veteran

I have lived in my current location for 1.5 years. I have been to every thrift store, antique, and consignment store in the area, and not found a single drum item...until today. Also, I have a set of pre-serial blue sparkle Ludwig Super Classics. So, it started with spotting a set of Ludwig keystone badge bongos on the counter, and I asked how much (oxidation on the lugs, busted heads, but shells looked good). He said he had a whole set that went with them upstairs on the third floor of the building. So, I went up there and checked the rest out. Here's what it included: 18" transition badge floor tom with calfskin heads, 13" keystone badge tom, keystone badge Supersensitive snare (tons of oxidation, chrome flaking, and rust on the shell and hardware--this one is in the worst shape of the lot), a set of old Avedis Zildjains (22" small stamp ride, 18" large stamp crash/ride, and very thin 15" small stamp, I think, hi hats), and some old sticks and brushes. Color on floor tom is not as dark as the photo suggests; it was the lighting more than anything. I was not expecting to come across these. Lots of cleanup to do, which I really won't have time to do anytime soon, but these are cool items for sure and will be great when I have time to dedicate to them.
    IMG_1351.JPG

zenstat, EvEnStEvEn and squidart like this.
  2. steambent

steambent DFO Master

Sweet!

3. squidart

squidart Very well Known Member

Always nice to score cool vintage stuff but when it goes with what you already have???? It’s a Christmas miracle I tells ya! Congrats!

4. steambent

steambent DFO Master

Don’t know or care what you paid for them but I would guess that 18 FT is worth 3-4 times what you paid for it all.

5. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

Very cool!
    The blue sparkle on the 18" is possibly the double sided stuff that is both blue and red sparkle depending on which side faces out. This makes either color a hair darker than the later mono-color versions.

I thought I was going to get a good score yesterday on a Ludwig 14x20 and 14x14. The only thing the guy could tell me for sure was that they were definitely really old Ludwigs (and he is a drummer so I thought he'd know). I was pretty excited at the prospect of bringing home a 14x14. But no, MIJ with one Ludwig head. Then he told me he saw a Slingerland snare in the local antique store for $20 a couple weeks back. He didn't have the money to buy it that day but told them he'd be back because it was a good snare that was worth a LOT more than $20. Oddly when he returned to buy it it was gone, seems the dealer pulled it and sold it to someone else for $200....imagine that?

6. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

What a neat find! This is what hooks us. The search and finally a score!

7. mc437

mc437 DFO Veteran

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I was very pleasantly surprised to find this lot. I already sold the snare, and I may just sell everything except the bongos and a cymbal. As cool as the floor tom is, I don't think I would actually use it. I also just don't really enjoy restoration projects all that much, so I would rather pass them along to someone who will enjoy cleaning up the drums and loving them.

8. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Cool....is that the badge of the bongos on the center wooden piece?

9. mc437

mc437 DFO Veteran

Yeah, it is. It's fastened to the wood with two small nails. I looked it up and it seems fairly common that it was done that way.

10. Gotdrums

Gotdrums 3rd most viewed drummer online

No bass drum?

11. mc437

mc437 DFO Veteran

Nope. Just two toms and a set of bongos.

12. Stickclick

Stickclick Well-Known Member

Look at them. They are just begging for a new home.

mc437 likes this.
  13. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

Nice haul. let me know if you decide to flip the 18 lg stamp :)