Tuning toms to perfect 4th's or notes with the Tune-bot.

Discussion in 'General' started by scottpep, Mar 14, 2019.

1. scottpep

scottpep Well-Known Member

Here is a video I made tuning my toms to perfect 4th's using the Tune-bot

A few quick points

1- These heads were replaced over a year ago when I recorded an album. They have been used almost daily for a year and still worked out pretty good.

2- I tuned my drums over 4 days ago and have played a lot so they are not in perfect tune now. (still sound good)

3- I did minimal processing. There is a slight limiter/compressor on the main channel to prevent clipping. I put some small EQ on the toms to make it represent the natural sound more. There is a dip at 500hz, and a small boost around 100-200hz. as well as 6000 I think. Noting too crazy. It sounded fantastic while playing these in the room.

I am sold on tuning to specific notes now in the same scale.. I'm going to try many more combos. Keep an eye out for a snare video as well.

Johnny K and Ptrick like this.
  2. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper DFO Veteran

Cool video. I always tune my toms this way but without the tunebot. I've got one around here somewhere and now I'm curious to see what it says.

3. scottpep

I think I was tuning my resos too high for a while. I find the 4th is pretty much bang on for what I want.

4. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster Well-Known Member

I use my DD, and the resos are always a bit lower. Is that a perfect 4th?

5. scottpep

With the drum dial you will never know what notes you are tuned to, or how many hertz. You could do a perfect 4th with the resos being tighter. You could also just use a piano, keyboard to play the notes, or even google the note on youtube. Once you do that you could tune to the note, check the tension and write it down for the next time you go to tune.

6. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster Well-Known Member

Sooooo, yes.

7. lrod1707

lrod1707 Very well Known Member

Great vid, thanks for that!

8. scottpep

There is nothing wrong tuning the batter and reso to the same pitch either. But I always find myself reaching for a gel in those cases, so this just seems to make more sense. The slight pitch bend really helps the toms cut in the mix too.

9. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member

I tune my toms' batters and resos to the same pitch. The only dampening I find that I need is half a piece of moon gel on the floor tom, just to make the sustain equal to the mounted toms. I don't have any trouble controlling the dynamics but it does take a pretty soft touch sometimes. I play mainly restaurant gigs and get comments from other drummers sometimes who compliment how my drums sound and are then very surprised when I tell them the drums are wide open.

10. CherryClassic

CherryClassic DFO Veteran

Thanks for the interesting video. I took a picture of your chart and now have it on my iPhone.

I'm presently experimenting with Max resonance with Coated over Clear Ambassador for now. And eventually start with varying degrees of resonance as you have done, looking for my preferred sound.

sherm

11. scottpep

With coated heads I may be more inclined to go max resonance. Or a birch kit even. Being clear heads and maple, and using mics I find I end up adding a gate to anything I record to stop it anyways.

The best way to stop the floor tom ring is to toss a few cotton balls inside the drum next time you change your top head. You still get the full sound, great resonance and similar volume. But after the stroke the bottom head is muted slightly. I find with my floor tom even with gel it tends to ring. If I put my hand on the bottom head that is the culprit. Try that next time. or tape a napkin on the outside of the resonant head. The cotton balls are nice because they bounce up allowing the full attack and tone then just get rid of the tail end a bit.