Very OT: Asking for apartment advice from NYC members

Discussion in 'General' started by fun2drum, Jan 7, 2019.

1. fun2drum

fun2drum Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

Some of you may know I've hosted a lot of foreign exchange students from all over the world. My most recent one, a young lady from Brazil, is coming back to the US to stay in NYC and attend classes at Manhattan Community College. She's arriving in a couple of weeks and needing an apartment near the school that she can afford and where she can feel reasonably safe. She's from a huge city in Brazil so she's street smart, but still she'll be by herself in a big city where she knows nobody. She actually has one landlord who has been messaging her about an apartment for $700/month near there with a $400 deposit he's wanting right now, but she's not totally sure it's not a scam. I'm in NC and have no idea what to tell her, but I'm the only one she knows to ask. I'm grasping for straws - anybody got any ideas?

2. Vistalite Black

Vistalite Black Ludwigs in the Basement

3. fun2drum

Thanks, she's planning to stay in a hotel for a while as she looks for apartments. I'll tell her to look in that area.

jnh01 likes this.
  4. Rich K.

Rich K. DFO Master

I can't imagine there's an apartment in NYC available for $700...

5. KevinD

KevinD Well-Known Member

BMCC is down on Chambers St, just north of the Trade Center (assuming that is the campus she is attending).

It is not a cheap area anymore (well, nowhere in Manhattan, and even the outer boroughs are not cheap these days).

I would be skeptical about any $700 rents in the area unless she is sharing it with a number of others. (which is not uncommon, especially among students)

Below is a link to the student housing page for BMCC It doesn't seem especially helpful, but there is a contact number on the page, that might be one avenue to try.

https://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/singlestop/page.jsp?pid=1080&n=Housing

Beyond that, if you Google "NYC student housing," there are a number of websites that come up... I have no idea which are credible and which are not though...
    My guess is that she is pretty social media savvy and they probably have a "app for that" too.

The good news is that the school is located right near pretty much all of the subway & bus stops, so getting there from anywhere should not be a problem (it just depends how far out she is).

OR,,, I would look at apartments in Jersey City, although rents are skyrocketing over there, the downtown JC area is safe, and it is still cheaper than Manhattan and only a 2-3 min ferry or PATH train ride away.

As suggested, it is probably a good idea to get a temp place first and get the lay of the land before committing to anything.

6. fun2drum

Thanks for the replies guys. I just sent her a link to this thread so she can see your comments.