Vintage Ludwig BB Dating

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by Eric S., Jan 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Eric S.

Eric S. New Member

Recently acquired a 70's era Ludwig 5x14 Black Beauty Super Sensitive snare drum. Has some minor scratches/scuffs and the lacquer on the shell seems to be coming off in some sections, but otherwise is in beautiful condition and I'm stoked to finally own one! Has the pointed badge and the serial number - 1671111 which makes it a '77-'78? The shell is considerably heavier than the modern BB's I've compared with. Sounds great and I don't plan on parting with her anytime soon! If anyone has any additional knowledge regarding badge dating or recommendations for cleaning brass/bronze shells on vintage drums feel free to give me your feedback. Now I just have to find a case that'll fit this damned thing! :confused2:

Eric

AustinFitz likes this.
  2. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Lovely! I think your date is about right - online sources have 1.29M ending in 1976 and a 300K spread of #'s, so I would guess yours falls about 1978. I don't have the catalogs handy but they are online to confirm. Does yours have the "Seamless Brass Shell" sticker inside?

I am curious what others will say about the cleaning, though. I have a modern bronze BB with lacquer issues (spotting that looks like gold dots/pitting, but it is smooth unlike vintage Supra "acne") and a spot the size of 2 quarters where the black has rubbed off leaving a dark silvery metal finish.......

There is one listed used at GC, too, for $1,099.00.....looks nice!

Eric S. likes this.
  3. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

Beautiful drum. Nice find!

Eric S. likes this.
  4. Hop

Hop DFO Veteran

Note that shells of the era have a bit of a reputation for getting some pitting/corrosion under the clear coat. Therefore, I would be very gentle in cleaning the shell.
    NOTHING abrasive or too harsh chemically, I only use a microfiber cloth on mine to wipe away fingerprints & dust with no cleaners.

Here's an example of the corrosion on mine. This is just below the collar line for the head (and this drum was always treated extremely well and honestly did a lot of "shelf" time as it wasn't always my primary snare).

Ludwig417BB_030_Sml.jpg

Eric S. likes this.
  5. Eric S.

Eric S. New Member

My research has been mainly through online resources with badge identification/serial numbers so I'm grateful for the extra confirmation! Sadly there is no sticker to be seen, but I honestly can't complain about it (although I'm sure a lot of other people would!)

I've seen that GC ad and a few others posted on Reverb all varying in condition. You just can't beat the sound of a good ol' Lud!

6. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

BB94.jpg BB5.jpg That's not bad at all! Here are pics of my 80's large KB Monroe BB. I was not happy about the condition but got it (and other things) in a trade and it's a fine sounding drum.

Eric S. likes this.
  7. DrumR69

DrumR69 Very well Known Member

I found a couple of square cases that fit the SS strainers. Have to put them diagonal in snare case.
    Wayne IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1150.JPG IMG_1151.JPG IMG_1152.JPG

Eric S. likes this.
  8. Eric S.

Eric S. New Member

That's an ideal looking case. I'll have to roam around some thrift shops or Goodwill with my snare in hand to find something that fits snug. Maybe even get something with an inch or so of extra room to line the interior with foam.

Eric

9. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

I don't take my super-sensitive out of the house so this is an interesting predicament and I am surprised at least Ludwig doesn't make a special bag....nice solution!

10. drumtimejohn

drumtimejohn Very well Known Member

Special 70s BB 6.5 SS bag, check. “Jorregano of Los Angeles”

upload_2019-1-12_22-2-4.jpeg

Eric S. likes this.
  11. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Sweet special bag!!!

12. DrumR69

DrumR69 Very well Known Member

Nice bag but I would still be careful with a bag and the SS strainer hitting something.
    Wayne