Vintage Pearl Drums

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by Blkonyx, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Blkonyx

Blkonyx DFO Veteran

Saw these in a thrift store for pretty cheap today, but looks like just a older pearl export? Shells have grey vertical wood. Any thoughts on model and worth?

Attached Files:

2. Tama CW

Tama CW Very well Known Member

Probably an export as you said. A higher line wouldn't have the grey vertical grain. They started Zola coating (Pearl called it something different) in the mid to later 70's as my later 70's Exports had that coating. The badges on your drums were used starting in the later 70's. Probably decently made drums that should clean up ok. I look at vintage exports from 70's and 80's at around $40-50/drum. But so many are out there for sale for dirt cheap it might be tough to get $200. You're safe at $100 and that's all I'd want to pay as you have to find tom mounts and maybe replace some heads, clean them up, etc. For unusual finishes or mint condition they'd bring more. Plain old black and white is nothing special. Post an inner shell photo if you like.

I sometimes see early Pearl Export kits with hardware and cymbals in the $250-$375 range. Probably a better deal than just 4 drums. 1990's and later Pearl Exports with hardware and starter cymbals bring $275-$350. Most people don't want to pay any more for the earlier version, even if they might be better made.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  3. dharma bum

dharma bum Very well Known Member

Here is my set from about 1973 (ignore the Mapex bass head) - it was, I think, a top of the line wood set because they only made one line, at the time there that Pearl was offering wood, wood-fibreglass, and fibreglass alternatives. My set has 10 lugs on the bass drum, and different claws and rods. The shell interiors are painted light grey.
    Jewelry Arm 2 204.JPG Jewelry Arm 2 207 - copy.jpg 1973_pearl_drumsets6.jpg IMG_0524.JPG

The set you are looking at has 8 lugs on the bass, same tom mounts, so it may indeed be a "lower" line from the mid or late 70s. I doubt there's a great market for these drums so you should be able to get them cheap, but my drums are still going strong 45 years later...

Tama CW likes this.
  4. franke

franke DFO Master

These are from the mid-1970's - before there was any model line delineation based on shell material or types of finishes. The give-away are the tom mounts, which were a copy of the Rogers Swivo-Matic (Pearl would later switch to the 7/8" pipe and ratchet). Shells are luan (aka "Philippine mahogany" - which is to mahogany what mock crab meat is to crab), and the gray interiors is trunk paint (just like Tama Imperialstars). I've attached a 1976 Pearl catalog shot that shows this kit.

These typically aren't worth all that much, so if you're buying to flip, you're wasting your time. Sound-wise, they're actually not all that bad, as much can be accomplished with better heads and attention paid to the edges and overall tuning. Pearl 1976 - Rock Beat kit.JPG

5. rock roll

rock roll Well-Known Member

Where are the tom.arms? Make sure they are included. The diameter is very small and I'm not sure how easy it is to find. Others here should know.

6. Big Beat

Big Beat DFO Veteran

Early to mid-1970s. Before Export and such. Those tom arms are rare! If they're missing, you're in for a long search.

7. rikkrebs

rikkrebs DFO Master

I bought a similar kit about a year ago for $80 with some cymbals and a little hardware. I refinished them in some leopard print wrap I had laying around and flipped them for $170. If I would have had to buy the wrap, I would have lost money. That being said, they were decent drums.

8. sksmith-1

sksmith-1 Well-Known Member

No offense, but leopard print wrap probably kept you from getting more. That's a niche market finish, probably hair metal cover bands only type thing.
    But you are right, they aren't worth a whole hell of a lot. And a lot of folks that started playing in the 70's wanted Pearl's because of Peter Criss.
    Steve

9. rikkrebs

rikkrebs DFO Master

Actually a few guys went crazy for the leopard print and one drove about 100 miles to get them. Go Figure.

They did kind of have that retro lounge lizard feel to them.

unnamed.jpg

funkypoodle and Bri6366 like this.
  10. sksmith-1

sksmith-1 Well-Known Member

Rik,
    Looking at that mount & bass spurs, I'm think this is a Royce or CB700, or something of that nature.
    Granted, these were probably built right along side the ones that Blkonyx & Franke posted.
    I guess there's a finish for everyone!! :D
    Steve