Vintage wrap opinion wanted

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by Salem street drums, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Salem street drums

Salem street drums DFO Sponsor Sponsor

im about to re-wrap a set of 3 ply ludwigs. The shells are player grade with extra holes that will need to be filled and the interiors are painted black and will need repainting back white. Obviously starting with shells like this the set will never be a “Show room “ type kit.....so my question is...Whould you wrap them in a period correct wrap or go for something a little different? I was leaning towards a black sparkle.

2. jccabinets

jccabinets Very well Known Member

If your selling them go with whatever sells the best.

3. Salem street drums

Yeah, resell is a big factor. I’ve narrowed it down to black sparkle or champagne sparkle.

4. El Larry

El Larry Very well Known Member

If I was going to go through the trouble of painting the interiors white, I would wrap a factory color..........Burgundy Sparkle! Champagne would be sweet also.

amosguy likes this.
  5. Spongebob

Spongebob DFO Master

since the current versions of these two finishes are not quite the same as the originals, i'd opt for something like gold sparkle, green sparkle or the ludwig version of WMP.

6. dead_head

dead_head Since DCI

I would go with a factory wrap and I would also make sure it had a matching snare.

Edit: I have always been a sucker for red sparkle.

7. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch DFO Veteran

Where Black is the color, where None is the number
    The current real champagne (that is, the proper copper flakes stuff) is hideously expensive. I looked into it for a shell-bank type thing I wanted to do and it was almost $5k. Including them cutting me slack for a bulk order - doing it one drum at a time to try and spread out the pain would have been even more.

I assume you're talking the kits from the other day - I'd stick with gold sparkle, honestly. Maintains the balance of The Force, and it's a cool color. A restoration job.
    If you wanted something different, I say go with something both rad and obviously not factory - pink sparkle, or black oyster glass glitter. A hot rod.

8. jccabinets

Do you have a color for the white interior? I need to figure that out myself.

9. Salem street drums

Yeah, it’s the kits from my other post, but I’m only re-wrapping the brown kit. The other gold sparkle kits are in pretty good shape.

10. Salem street drums

I have found a spray paint ....the color is “Almond”. It is actually off white with a little yellow tint to it. It looks like an “aged” white. I’m not 100% sold on the color but it looks pretty good.

11. Salem street drums

Has anyone used the “modern” champagne sparkle wrap?....the less expensive ones.

12. JDA

JDA DFO Master

I'd consider a Psychedelic Red it's an almost Classic Ludwig exclusive . Unmistakable. proud. Ludwig finish. Even if it's a little off (try not too far off) from the original rap.

13. VintageUSA

VintageUSA Very well Known Member

I'd choose a traditional sparkle for 3-ply player shells.

14. sksmith-1

sksmith-1 Well-Known Member

White interior paint for vintage Ludwig's:
    http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/painting_shell_interiors.html
    Are you planning on keeping them for yourself? If so, Black Sparkle would look awesome.
    I used Titanium Sparkle from Precision on an early 80's Pearl MX maple kit I picked up cheap. It turned out really nice.
    Steve

Attached Files:

15. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Jeff, I refinished a vintage "Jazzette" kit in March of 2018. I had to repaint the interiors and studied a lot of orig. Ludwig interior photos and actual drums, as well as various links online to the right paint. Since the original paint was leaded and no longer made, I went to Orchard and spoke with the Benjamin Moore paint dept. guy. I ended up settling with a gallon of Benjamin Moore Regal semi gloss (N551 interior) and they had a color that nearly perfectly matched my '65 Pioneer (my best looking Ludwig white interior drum). Check out the match (note the paper outline I crudely traced). The color is called Paper Mache (AF-25), a standard color. I got a gallon (I think $50 but 25% off or so) and barely used 1" of it to cover the inside of a 12/14/18 kit. I should have stuck with a quart as he suggested...
    oh well (it was like $20, too). It is a thick paint that was hard to manage. I did 2 coats and it covered well and looks like my other vintage drum interiors. It was the right call.

This is the sample paper swatch in my original finish snare, and the final product:

Orig1.jpg Orig2.jpg

16. jccabinets

Wow that color looks great! Thanks for your time researching this, you saved me and I'm sure several other members a great deal of time, well done!