WFL 20x18 Floor Toms

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by Blkonyx, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Blkonyx

Blkonyx DFO Veteran

Found this at a local store today and was surprised on the size. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a floor gone this big from this era. Are these pretty rare?
    Wanted to pass along in case anybody was interested. They were asking $500

Attached Files:

2. pedro navahas

pedro navahas DFO Veteran

Wow, intriguing, where are you located?

3. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch DFO Veteran

Where Black is the color, where None is the number
    Large floors seem to be more common in the 50's than the 60's. Then, of course, at the very end of the 60's and into the 70's big drums start becoming popular again.

In fact, most of the Keystone and earlier B/O-badged big floors I can recall seeing had mahogany inner plies, like they pre-dated the white interior paint and maple inner-ply.

4. Tama CW

Tama CW Very well Known Member

In surfing around the web for vintage drum kits the past week I ran across several offerings with 20" floor toms....Slingerland and Ludwig as I recall. More of them than I expected. No idea what younger drummers today think of these as they will be the next set of caretakers. Still toying with the idea of adding a 20" floor to one of my already "too large" kits.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 5:15 PM
  5. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

WFL used the 18x20 in the Compacto Outfit as well. It would serve a dual purpose as a stand up cocktail drum or on it's side as a bass drum. It had one wooden hoop and one flanged hoop. I also have an original late 50's Ludwig trans badge kit that has an 18x20 as a bass drum. It has conventional wooden hoops with inlays. Later in the 60's and really for almost a decade or so, 18x20 floor toms often had the natural interiors from the 50's. Possibly left over stock.

6. GoJaskill

GoJaskill Very well Known Member

Holy cats, those are amazing. And it seems like he bought new hardware just for the sale! (look at the pedals, they still have plastic on them!)