What Head Do You Have On Your Vintage Snare?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ringofanatic1940, Feb 9, 2019.

1. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

I have Aquarian Texture Coated single plies on all my snares. Sounds like a Remo Ambassador, but the texture actually has a long life for brushes, unlike the Amb, which is worthless after about two weeks.

2. Drumceet

Drumceet Well-Known Member

Coated Vintage Emperor

3. RogersLudwig

RogersLudwig DFO Veteran

My Gretsch 4157 has an Aquarian American Vintage medium

4. thejohnlec

thejohnlec Well-Known Member

Currently using Evans Power Center Reverse Dots on most of my snares. Versatile, punchy, and a wide tuning range. My only 6 lugger is a Kent, and I use a single ply Evans without the reverse dot on it. It seems to accommodate that instrument’s limited lower tuning range better.

5. crash

crash DFO Master

Currently playing a Keystone Acro and a ‘58 Pioneer. Coated Ambo. Just classic sounding. ‘20’s NOB Pioneer has a reverse dot head. Really fat sounding.

6. RickP

RickP Guest

I currently use a Remo Ambassador on my only vintage snare drum ( Slingerland TDR Buddy Rich model 6 x 14). The drum cane with this head on it and it sounds great so no sense changing it .

7. BennyK

BennyK DFO Master

Remo Coated Diplomat over a 1972 14x5 1/2 Beverly Cosmic 21 aluminum with 1.6 factory tri -flange hoops. If I switch out to a wood hoop, the same . If I use a die cast (10 lug ) then an Ambassador coated .

On my 60's Ludwig 15" concert snare I use an Evans G1 coated , simply because 15" heads aren't readily available. I snapped up the two that were on the shelf that day and they seem to do the trick , but I'd love to try a Ludwig medium , even rarer up here in Ottawa .

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  8. fun2drum

fun2drum Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

Ludwig Heavy Coated or Remo Ambassador coated. Both are the same thickness or at least close. The Ludwig breaks in quicker, has a more durable coating, and has a collar that's way more shallow, which I like. Both will sound similar and excellent, maybe the Remo is a hair warmer? or maybe that's my imagination, but I prefer the Ludwig on any snare drum for the reasons given. Other brands come in behind those two in my mind.