What is an Andy K snare drum?

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by lrod1707, Mar 15, 2019.

1. lrod1707

lrod1707 Very well Known Member

I've looked around for info and nothing. It says Made in Japan. Anybody know anything about these?
    AndyK.jpg

2. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster Well-Known Member

Andy's gonna hunt you down, bro! [​IMG]

Mongrel likes this.
  3. lrod1707

Hahahaha!:p

4. W&A Player

W&A Player DFO Master

T-R-A-S-H to most of us. Collectible to some of us with an affection for trashy stencil brand drums. Did Andy Kauffman spoof the drum world before he was even born?

5. lrod1707

I have no interest in buying it so I'm definitely not one that sees it as collectible. Just curious to what it was. I find it funny how they come up with those names for things. Makes you wonder where they got the name Andy K from. Maybe the guy who built it watched Taxi one to many times!

6. W&A Player

W&A Player DFO Master

If a music store or local chain of stores would buy enough of a stencil brand snare drum or drum set, the badge could say whatever they wanted it to say.

funkypoodle likes this.
  7. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

Neat drum. Can you post a pic of how that cymbal arm mounts underneath and such? Thanks.

8. lrod1707

It's not my drum. I was just asking about it because I saw it for sale on Craigslist and the badge intrigued me more than the drum (or cymbal)

9. lrod1707

That's true but I don't think that's the case for this one. I haven't seen anything Andy K anywhere ever so I don't think any store ever placed a big order for these. Their is zero information online for this name brand. I can be wrong though, maybe their is a Giant state of the art Andy K factory somewhere in Japan LOL: "Yes the picture I added is a joke"
    AndyK.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    KevinD likes this.
  10. atomicdave

atomicdave DFO Master

I'd think, likely, the importers name. I recall an MIJ badge that was "Gamble Imports"...you could get them custom from the "factory", I guess...

11. idrum4fun

idrum4fun DFO Veteran

12. AustinFitz

AustinFitz Well-Known Member

I've read one of the reasons there were so many different stencil kit brands was that it was pretty common at the time for stencil kits to be shipped over from Japan without any badges or branding. Import businesses, distribution companies, and/or music stores themselves would then have their own custom stickers/badges made up with whatever name they wanted to be applied upon receiving the drums.

Apparently people often chose to brand their stencil kits using their own names, names of their children, other family members, friends, employees, or just entirely made up brand names.

lrod1707 likes this.
  13. lrod1707

idrum4fun posted a link with Andy K information. The only information I think their is because I searched and searched and found nothing. You were kidding but I think it really was named after Andy Kauffman. Click the link he posted in his post and you can read about it. I actually laughed!

14. lrod1707

Thanks for this. I think this really is the only link with Andy K information. And they describe it as elusive. I think this drum brand/badge must be pretty rare if it's so hard to find and practically no info online about it.
    I might actually consider buying that snare just to throw it in the collection. I'm sure it's a crappy snare but it looks interesting. I have to think about it though!
    And based on the picture it seems to be in good condition along with that weird cymbal mount that attaches to the snare stand. The actual cymbal looks pretty retro as well. I wonder who makes it? It looks pretty cool! It looks like a nice conversation piece.
    The guy's asking $75 for the whole thing.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    AustinFitz likes this.
  15. idrum4fun

idrum4fun DFO Veteran

These MIJ snare drums with the Andy K badge are few and far between. That same drum probably sported dozens of other badges. Still, this one has the elusive AK badge and the entire drum, stand and cymbal appear in pretty good condition. For myself, condition is everything. I see nothing wrong with the asking price of $75, but it never hurts to counter with a lower offer and see what happens. I've seen asking prices going up considerably for MIJ snare drums in questionable condition. Most don't sell for these high asking prices. If you like this AK drum, go ahead and add it to your collection. I love my MIJ snare drum collection...all 17 of them!

-Mark

16. lrod1707

Cool! I think I'm gonna ask and see what they say. Who knows, I might snag it for like $50 or so. I figured even at $75 it was OK. We'll see!

17. idrum4fun

idrum4fun DFO Veteran

By all means, make a lower offer and see what happens. Like you said, even $75 is OK. Let us know what happens!

-Mark

lrod1707 likes this.