What Up With This Pedal

Discussion in 'General' started by kenshireen1, Sep 6, 2018.

1. kenshireen1

kenshireen1 Well-Known Member

2. dwdave

dwdave Groovinator

Most likely well designed with cheap parts.

3. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

I bet it wobbles like crazy or will break under hard playing/stress. For $27 and free s/h, it's worth a shot, though.

4. dtk

dtk DFO Master

the hoop clamp looks like its done with a lever (hard to tell)...its a clever idea if that's what it is.

Please review when you get it...

5. kenshireen1

kenshireen1 Well-Known Member

I'll give it a shot.

6. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

Looks like a Chinese copy of a DW. I don't need any more pedals but if I did I'd be tempted to give one of these a try at that price (not a great deal of risk involved unless it literally falls apart after a couple of uses). I'm sure corners are cut here that might effect durability, but the other side of that is how much of what we pay for a brand name pedal (or other hardware) is pure markup?

Let us know what you think when you get it.

7. KevinD

KevinD Well-Known Member

I think this is a similar design to a pedal we discussed here a while back in this thread

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/142262-can-you-id-this-pedal/?hl=%2Bvex+%2Bpedal#entry1563685

Funny, I remembered the thread but NOT that I had posted in it....go figure..

The design on this pedal is a just bit different, but the hardware looks similar, they are all probably related in some manner.

After this thread from 2017. I pulled my pedal out and used it on my practice kit. (I have the double pedal version but only used the main pedal.)

In general, for $30 or so it is not a horrible deal.

Here are some highlights from my original post

I did run across a few durability issues: The beater shaft on the main kick side actually bent over time (mostly from practicing [SIZE=10pt]out of John Riley books on a Roland BD- of all things) easily remedied with a new beater. The tension adjustment on the spring would back out over the course of a practice session. I had to come up with some mod for that, but don't recall that being a major deal.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I think the biggest problem I had was that the wing nut on the BD hoop clamp stripped out pretty easily, I think I got it to hold by sticking a toothpick in there to help hold things in place. It was not a huge problem though ( I typically don't tighten my pedal[/SIZE] too tightly, I like the "flex" of things when it is looser anyway).

When I revisited this pedal in 2017 after this thread, I noticed that I starting having an issue with the adjustment at the top of the pedal that holds that cap that attached to the spring... it started falling off. After retightening the T -Rod/ screw would back out and it would loosen or fall off again.

In general the cast pieces that were threaded tended to not hold their grip after a while. Nothing that can't be fixed to a certain extent but not something you would want to worry about on a gig or deal with on an extended basis.

Performance wise, I thought it was OK. The action was a little sluggish compared to my Mapex Raptor DD pedal or even my older Tama King Beat pedal (the one that looks like the Rogers Pedal).

Again for $30 you are not going to get a high quality DW/Tama pedal but you can make it work.