Where do you keep your drum key?

Discussion in 'General' started by musicman6, Jul 19, 2012.

1. musicman6

musicman6 Well-Known Member

Just thought it would be cool to hear all the interesting places people keep theirs! I keep mine on the classic key chain

2. W&A Player

W&A Player DFO Master

With this snare behind the set, you can see where the key resides. When using other snares, I keep at least one key in my pocket and another one or two in the accessories bag.

3. Rhino

Rhino Well-Known Member

I have mine on a carabiner that I snap onto my belt loop. The carabiner also has a built in LED and bottle openner. I also keep a few in a small tool box that stays with my drums that has all my felts, string, and other schtuff.

4. fun2drum

fun2drum Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

I bought one of those cross/key/necklace thingies. The key is really too big for my taste to use as a neclace, but I hang it off of a floor tom lug screw. I also keep my Mapex key (my favorite, by far) on a stool to my right, along with my drink. There are also keys all over my house and in my pocket.

5. leshok

leshok Well-Known Member

my dw5000 pedal has a spot for the drum key. or i put them in my shoes when i am playing because i play in socks!

6. Cauldronics

Cauldronics DFO Master

My solution is having way more drum keys than I need scattered all over the place. That way, I'm never looking for one. Drum keys accumulate over the years from new snare drums and pedals, or when someone gave me one to keep, or I bought a gadget key, so why not. I probably have 6 keys sitting around.

When gigging I always manage to get one into my pocket while loading out of the practice room. Or I find myself carrying one around since the last gig.

7. Wheresmyroadie?

Wheresmyroadie? Twisted Loner

Everywhere. key chain, hardware bag, cymbal bag, car, night stand, (In case my dream comes true re: my dream set) And just about everywhere else except the bathroom.

8. agogobil

agogobil Drum Czardine

oh crap! I lost it again!

9. stickinthemud

stickinthemud DFO Master

Key chain.

10. RickP

RickP Guest

I have one in both my stick bags, one in both my cymbal bags and one in my arm rest in my car.

11. SamS

SamS Very well Known Member

One in my stick bag, one in that little pocket in my Levi's, and one in the bass players cable case. I swear that little Levi's pocket was made just for drum keys. Then a slew of them make their home on the closet shelf.

12. cobemon

cobemon Well-Known Member

on a key lanyard or the vent hole of my bass drum, since it doesnt affect sound all that much. ive lost about 3 because i forget to put it in one of those places.

13. vintagemore2000

vintagemore2000 DFO Master

keep em mounted on my back floor tom.

14. bolweevil

bolweevil DFO Master

My DW 5002 pedal has a spot for a key; one goes there. Another goes on my keychain, one goes in a little side-compartment in my cymbal bag, and one stays at home in case I lose all the others some how.

15. atomicdave

atomicdave DFO Master

in cymbal bag, in center console in car, in desk drawer, in boxes of parts...plenty of other places. I have only one drum, a WFL classic with a keyholder, havent used it playing out yet though.

16. Lee

Lee DFO Veteran

On a Detroit Tigers neck lanyard that has a detachable plastic end snap. I generally have to carry two keys, one for the slotted Sonor rods and one for standard rod ends on the snares I use that are non-Sonor.

That lanyard, when not being used, resides in my bass drum pedal case. I figure if I forget my bass drum pedals, than not having a key is a minor problem.....[​IMG]

I have a slew of keys in my drum repair case (a converted suitcase) that I take with me that contains spare tom and snare heads, snare cord, cymbal felts, spare hi-hat clutches, the usual "emergency repair" stuff...

17. drumaniac

drumaniac DFO Master

in my pocket

18. vsp39o2

vsp39o2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I DO think this song is about me. SO?
    I keep several in a blue velvet Crown Royal bag hung from my stick-caddy-thing,

19. Drummer232

Drummer232 Well-Known Member

On my keyring, which is either on a carabiner clipped to a belt loop, on a lanyard, or hanging off something drum related. When the drum key comes off the key ring to be used if keys are getting in the way, it either ends up in the bass vent hole, or on the space on the tom mount that it is used to tighten (although that sometimes gets in the way of the ride cymbal).

20. Bunnyman

Bunnyman Stuarto Pidasso

In my jock from my ring in a certain place... :drunken: