Wrap removal - second installment

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by 69OysterBlue, Nov 5, 2018.

1. 69OysterBlue

69OysterBlue DFO Master

Not really sure if this qualifies as Vintage Venue, Builders Workshop or Backyard Barbeque material - I am deconstructing some vintage shells in the process of building them back into playable drums.

Previous post showed that the wrap was beyond recovery on a kit I got this past week. These two videos are the wrap removal from the 8x12 and 9x13 toms. As you can see, this takes less than a minute per drum to burn away and leaves the shell completely unharmed - a much better result than I have ever achieved with a heat gun and a scraper (and hours of toil).

These drums are well on their way to a new life wrapped in Black Diamond Pearl.

ludwigfire likes this.
  2. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

I've done that a few times. Kind of fun actually. I wish I had done it on the last drum I stripped as I had a hard time getting the wrap off without pulling up chunks of the mahogany outer ply. I've had to resort to this method on Slingerlands especially as their wraps seem to really be glued on tight.

Vintage wrap almost burns like it was made of gasoline once you get it started. I'm always surprised when you see an old drum with a cigarette burn that the whole wrap hadn't gone up in a sudden flash. I'm assuming newer wrap isn't combustible enough to use this method but the old cellulous nitrate stuff isn't too far removed from guncotton, chemically speaking.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  3. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

I will use this method soon, I am getting ready to strip a Slingerland Tom. After you burn and the flame goes out how much crap is left on the shell

4. 69OysterBlue

69OysterBlue DFO Master

Usually there is some glue residue left that I get off with paint/varnish remover and some #3 steel wool. As KO noted - it is always smart to check and see if the wrap on your drum burns quickly. A small piece of wrap is all you need to test. If it is the old cellulose nitrate stuff, it will ignite almost immediately.

5. 69OysterBlue

69OysterBlue DFO Master

Agreed - this is certainly fun to do . . . and it drives my wife crazy which is an added bonus!

6. Snafu

Snafu Member

Wouldn't this warp or discolor the shell?.

7. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

This method works well on cajons too, regardless if they're wrapped.
    Just remember to thoroughly soak the offending cajon in gasoline or lighter fluid beforehand.
    Works like a charm! :evil4:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 4:23 AM
    jptrickster and Houndog like this.
  8. Drum Play

Drum Play Very well Known Member

You guys really let em hang doing that. I'd be too scared I would ruin the shell.

9. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Let me stand next to your FIRE!!! This is crazy, man. I know you are re-wrapping it but if you wanted to stain the shell, is it all singed up or what? Any post-flaming pics?

10. Houndog

Houndog Very well Known Member

I have notified OSHA ....

11. 69OysterBlue

69OysterBlue DFO Master

This is the bass drum shell after burning away the wrap, removing the residual glue and some fine grit sanding. The outer mahogany ply looks great (almost stain worthy).

None of these shells are damaged and the heat of a very quick burn doesn't harm tonal qualities at all.
    IMG_0357.JPG

mlayton likes this.
  12. Snafu

Snafu Member

That looks like a Ludwig shell. I've never got that involved with vintage kits. I remember my dismay when I ordered a new Tom in 1979 for my mid 50,s WFL kit in white marine pearl. The new drum had a different pattern and had a blueish tint that was very noticeable until you put colored lights on them. And at that time ludwig had put rivets along the wrap edge. Looked like hell in my opinion. This Tama Granstar kit is a full resto and removing the wrap was pretty easy Thank God since even getting started took 2 years after I purchased them.