Yamaha Tom Mount Modification for lower bass drum rack toms

Discussion in 'The Builders Workshop' started by cmrocco, Feb 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. cmrocco

cmrocco Member

Check out my video on how to mod your Yamaha ball and socket tom arm. I had been meaning to do this for like a year. I thought of many ways to do it. Then the lightbulb went off after I finished replacing some plumbing valves under my bathroom sink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62QOHatls8o

It is a how to get a super-clean cut on a tube. It could be used for any brand, but I find this problem of not being able to get my rack toms mounted on my bass drum low enough due to the constrains of the Yamaha ball and socket YESS mount arm length.

I also took this as an opportunity to learn iMovie. It was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it and am already thinking about other videos to make. Please let me know what you think. Also, please subscribe to my channel as I will be adding new videos in the future.

I am also open to suggestions for future videos.

Thanks!

Chris

JDA likes this.
  2. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

That's your first video? Wow. Good job, Chris. Besides the nice, clear photography, I especially appreciate the pacing. Right to the point, with no endless chatter, chatter, chatter. I'll look forward to more videos.

I had this same problem with my Recording Customs whenever I wanted to use them one up, because I like for my ride tom to be very low. But, I solved the problem myself by simply bypassing the tom tree and inserting the tom arm directly into the bd mount. That got the tom plenty low, but not far enough to the side. So I bought the Yamaha tom post with the extended arm. Worked like a charm.

GeeDeeEmm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster Well-Known Member

I lowered my toms by raising everything else. I think I"m the only drummer in the world who's done this. PDP Platform 2aa.jpg

4. Geardaddy

Geardaddy Very well Known Member

Great video. Three possible suggestions / improvements to your method since I've done similar tubing mods many times myself. First is to wrap the chrome tubing with tape before you cut it. I usually use blue painters tape. This will prevent the marking up of the chrome tube by the cutter rollers. Second would be to wax the cut edge of the tube to prevent it from rusting down the road. The tube is mild steel which rusts very easily. Third is to use a rubber mallet to reinsert the cap into the tube so the hammer doesn't mar the plastic cap.

ARGuy likes this.
  5. cmrocco

cmrocco Member

Ha, the rubber mallet occurred to me after the fact. I had not considered the wax. I noticed the roller marks, but was able to polish them out. This being said the tape is a great idea. Thanks!

6. cmrocco

cmrocco Member

Please subscribe. Youtube makes you get 1000 subscribers and 4000 hours of view time before you can put ads in your videos. I have 64 minutes of view time thus far. A long way to go...

7. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

Didn't see it in your post, but do you have your bass Drum backwards in order to get the Toms closer to you? On my phone now, so I may not be seeing your complete post.
    GeeDeeEmm

8. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster Well-Known Member

Yes, that's why I reversed the kick. I've since then set it back to normal after further tweaking with positioning everything. And, if anyone's WTFing about that tiny throne, it was a joke. The throne is a kiddy throne, lol.